Advertisement
The area where Naessh went missing: No Indian aircrafts are being used in search operations.

MDP calls for use of Indian aircraft to find Naeesh

A spokesperson for the MNDF told Atoll Times on Saturday that only the Aviation Academy aircraft is being used in the search operation.

25 December 2023

The Maldives Democratic Party (MDP) has called for the use of Indian aircrafts in the search for Mohammed Naeesh, who went missing while lobstering in Addu.

18-year-old Mohammed Naeesh, of Kuredhimaage/S.Maradhoo, went missing after he had gone lobstering with two other men on Friday evening. The search for Naeesh has been ongoing since 10:10 pm that evening.

In the past, such searches were conducted using the helicopters or Dornier aircraft used by the Indian Army. However, the Maldivian army is using an aircraft from the Maldives Aviation Academy, the flight school operating at Addu airport. The Defense Ministry also announced this in a post on X.

The MDP issued a statement on Sunday evening expressing concern over the government's approach to the search for Naeesh, saying it was "extremely irresponsible" not to use all resources available to state agencies to find him 72 hours after his disappearance.

According to the statement:

  • Maldives has long sought assistance in such operations through its relations with allies

  • Today, the MDP is concerned that such technical capabilities and resources are available in Maldives but they are not being used

  • 3,452 people were rescued in 1,996 joint operations conducted by the Maldivian army and foreign countries; it explains the high success rate of operations due to the utilization of resources

Until the work of increasing sufficient capacity in Maldivian agencies to conduct search and rescue operations is completed, the MDP believes that the failure to use the resources and technical advice in operations will make it difficult to succeed.

"Putting a political agenda above the life of a citizen will not be accepted by this party. We call on the government to make use of all available resources in the country at this time in the search operation for Naeesh," the party said in a statement.

A spokesperson for the MNDF told Atoll Times on Saturday that only the Aviation Academy aircraft is being used in the search operation.

When asked if any Indian aircrafts were used in the operation, he said no. However, he did not disclose any reason.

According to information available to Atoll Times so far:

  • Naeesh and two other youths went lobstering at around 7 pm on Friday

  • They dived under from the direction of Feydhoo ‘fasgandu’ area, towards the runway

  • They were going to catch lobsters when suddenly the weather got worse and Naeesh was pulled away by strong currents from the rocky side of the islet

  • The two remaining young men reached the island about 10 p.m. that evening; they immediately reported the incident to the police

  • Naeesh was wearing a white T-shirt when he disappeared; he was pulled away by the current along with a refrigerator box that people normally take with them when they go fishing

Operation to find Naeesh

MNDF Southern Area Command, Coast Guard Fourth Squadron is conducting a search and rescue operation to locate Naeesh, and so far they have searched:

  • 279 square nautical miles by air

  • 300 square nautical miles by sea

  • Dived and examined an area of 600 meters

Comments

profile-image-placeholder