President cancels Independence Day reception for third consecutive year
The President's Office said on Tuesday that the reception had been cancelled to reduce state expenditure.
Top Stories
-
Parliament approves rule change allowing multiple petitions
-
Yameen calls for suspension of Thilamalé Bridge, Rasmalé projects
-
Ziyad says legislation alone can't prevent corruption
-
Proposal seeks to remove ban on multiple petitions in parliament
-
Hope fades as MNDF concludes search across Huvadhu channel
President Dr Mohamed Muizzu has decided not to hold the official Independence Day reception this year, continuing the government's cost-cutting measures.
The President's Office said on Tuesday that the reception had been cancelled to reduce state expenditure. The event was also not held in the previous two years for the same reason.
Despite the cancellation of the reception, the official Independence Day ceremony will take place at the Social Centre at 9:00 a.m. on 26 July.
President Muizzu is scheduled to deliver the national Independence Day address during the ceremony.
This year marks the 61st anniversary of the Maldives' independence.