15-30 days remand for 17 arrested in major drug bust
Seventeen people were arrested and close to a million Rufiyaa seized in a drug operation conducted in Male on Thursday.
Top Stories
-
3 Individuals, 1 organisation receive national award of honour
-
Honour for Shakir’s contributions to literature and history
-
Pres announces bill to ensure laws comply with Islamic principles
-
Shahid launches presidential bid and resigns as MDP president
-
No distinction between small and large islands, says president
Court has remanded the 17 people arrested in a major drug bust last week, police announced Monday.
Seventeen people were arrested and close to a million Rufiyaa seized in a drug operation conducted in Male on Thursday.
A police spokesperson told Atoll Times on Monday that all the 17 suspects were remanded to periods between 15-30 days.
Police commissioner Mohamed Hameed tweeted on Saturday that 6.8kg of narcotics were seized during the operation. In addition:
-
17 people were arrested
-
Raids were conducted at 10 locations in Male and Hulhumale
"From them... MVR 933,430 has been seized," the commissioner said.
Hameed said the operation was carried out to disrupt the drug trade and peddling activities carried out by a well-known criminal group in the country.
In the Male area, the police have recently conducted major drug operations. Last month, over MVR 600,000 was seized along with 13kg of drugs.