Govt reclassifies Hankede as integrated tourism project
Hankede was previously designated as a real estate tourism area under a resolution issued on 2 December 2021.
Top Stories
-
Over 100 Fenaka staff in Addu dismissed, mayor says
-
MMA revokes Express Money Exchange licence over violations
-
PCB instructs MTDC to remove chairman Faiz after 6-year term
-
$10 million Maniyafushi investment aimed at fish farming industry
-
Parallel markets can't be controlled via legislation, says Inaz
The government has decided to develop Hankede in Addu as an integrated tourism project while designating Dhonhera for halal tourism.
Hankede was previously designated as a real estate tourism area under a resolution issued on 2 December 2021. That resolution was repealed on Wednesday by President Mohamed Muizzu. The island was also removed from the list compiled in June for halal tourism development.
Tourism Minister Thoriq Ibrahim confirmed the decision in a post on X on Thursday. “The Ministry of Tourism and Environment is taking all necessary steps to open Hankede as an integrated tourism project. Our goal is to start practical work this year and bring it into operation during President Mohamed Muizzu’s current term,” he said.
The change includes the cancellation of Hankede’s designation as a real estate project area and the termination of the agreement signed between the Tourism Ministry and Maldives Fund Management Corporation (MFMC) on 28 September 2025.
Thoriq said the ministry would on Thursday open a tender for the development of Dhonhera in Addu as a halal tourism project, replacing Hankede.
The decision follows earlier efforts under the previous government to implement a $142 million integrated tourism project in Hankede financed through a loan from a Chinese bank. That project did not progress, and the island was later reclassified for halal tourism development.