Advertisement
Fishermen in Maldives.

Govt supplies 2.5 million litres of subsidised fuel to fishermen

According to Shiyam, the conflict has increased fuel-related costs in both the fisheries and agriculture sectors.

3 hours ago

Ahmed Shiyam said on Tuesday that the government has supplied 2.5 million litres of fuel to fishermen under a subsidised fuel programme.

The minister made the remarks during a press conference held by the special ministerial committee established by President Mohamed Muizzu to address the impact of the Middle East conflict.

According to Shiyam, the conflict has increased fuel-related costs in both the fisheries and agriculture sectors.

Despite the increase in costs, the government has continued to provide fuel to the fishing industry at subsidised rates.

Shiyam said the concession scheme introduced in February had enabled fishermen to continue operations without major financial disruption.

According to figures shared by the minister:

  • 2.5 million litres of subsidised fuel have been distributed

  • A total of 1,832 fishing vessels received fuel under the programme

The minister also stated that fuel distribution arrangements had been established across nine regions of the country.

He noted that while efforts continue to provide fuel at State Trading Organization rates, some logistical challenges and delays remain.

According to Shiyam, resolving those issues remains a priority.

He added that requests from fishermen for fuel distribution through STO had led to the expansion of the programme to almost all atolls.

“President Mohamed Muizzu attaches a very high priority to ensuring fuel accessibility for our fishermen,” Shiyam said.

“These concessions are intended to ensure they can continue going to sea, and we are working every day to maintain the process.”

Shiyam also stated that fish exports have remained stable due to fishing activity recorded since the beginning of the year.

Comments

profile-image-placeholder