PG yet to decide on charges against Eesha
On the 10th of the month, the Prosecutor General’s Office filed Qazf charges against Adhadhu CEO Fiyaz and Managing Editor Hasssan.
The Prosecutor General's Office said on Monday that no final decision has been made on whether to file charges against Aishath Eesha Ashraf over allegations of Qazf against President Mohamed Muizzu.
Eesha was questioned by police earlier this month as part of an investigation linked to a documentary released by Adhadhu in March containing allegations against the President.
Eesha was summoned to police headquarters on the night of the 5th of this month and again the following afternoon.
On the 10th of the month, the Prosecutor General’s Office filed Qazf charges against Adhadhu Chief Executive Officer Hussain Fiyaz Moosa and Managing Editor Hassan Mohamed.
Their trial at the Criminal Court began last Wednesday.
Despite the proceedings against the two media executives, no formal charges have been filed against Eesha.
Responding to questions regarding the matter, Public Prosecutor and PG Office spokesperson Ahmed Shafeeu said the investigation concerning Eesha remains ongoing and that no decision on prosecution has yet been reached.
The Maldives Police Service has not publicly commented on the current status of the investigation.
Lawyers representing Eesha previously stated that police did not provide her with an adequate opportunity to respond during questioning and said the concern was formally recorded in her statement.
Her legal representatives also argued that she should be treated as a victim in the case and said she was willing to clarify the circumstances surrounding the allegations.
President Muizzu has denied all allegations contained in the documentary.
On the same day the PG Office forwarded charges against the Adhadhu executives, the Criminal Court issued an order prohibiting discussion of the case directly or indirectly.
Following the order, Adhadhu journalist Mohamed Shahuzan was sentenced to 15 days in prison and fined MVR 25,800 after asking the President a question related to the case during a press conference.
Another Adhadhu journalist, Leevan Ali Nasir, received a 10-day prison sentence and a fine of MVR 26,800 for reporting on the court order itself.
The sentences prompted criticism from journalists, media organisations and international groups, while opposition parties have held protests in Malé calling for the release of the journalists.
The Maldives Journalists Association also attempted to challenge the court order at the High Court, although the appeal was not accepted.