Hope fades as MNDF concludes search across Huvadhu channel
The vessel, Friend 4, capsized and sank on the night of 5 August while transporting gravel and sand from Laamu Atoll to Huvadhu Atoll.
Top Stories
The Maldives National Defence Force (MNDF) has completed search operations across the Huvadhu Channel following the sinking of a supply vessel earlier this month, stating that the likelihood of locating the three missing men alive at sea is now low.
The vessel, Friend 4, capsized and sank on the night of 5 August while transporting gravel and sand from Laamu Atoll to Huvadhu Atoll. The incident occurred northeast of GA. Kudalafari.
The three individuals who remain missing are vessel captain Mohamed Hamdoon, MNDF Fire and Rescue Service Staff Sergeant Ibrahim Ahmed and Police Sergeant Ali Nafiu. The two officers had boarded the vessel to assist during the emergency.
Providing an update on Monday, the MNDF said search operations by air and sea had covered the entire Huvadhu Channel and surrounding areas identified through drift pattern analysis.
According to the MNDF, search teams used prevailing wind and ocean current data to identify possible drift routes. Operations were conducted across the Huvadhu Channel as well as the outer reef areas of Laamu Atoll and Gaafu Alifu Atoll.
The search operation involved a range of assets, including a Maldivian passenger aircraft and MNDF-operated Bayraktar TB2 drones.
The MNDF also deployed Coast Guard Ship Imaduddin, which recently entered service following its donation by Australia. The vessel's onboard systems were used during the search effort.
The operation received support from the United States Government following a request from the Maldives Government. On Sunday, a United States Navy P-8 Poseidon maritime patrol aircraft conducted aerial search operations over the Huvadhu Channel.
According to figures released by the MNDF, search coverage as of 6:00 p.m. on Sunday, 11 days after the incident, included:
-
17,220 square nautical miles by air
-
2,790.10 square nautical miles of sea surface area
-
288 square nautical miles of coastal and reef areas
The MNDF said the vessel sank in waters estimated to be more than 1,600 metres deep.
According to the military, the depth exceeds the limits of human diving operations and is beyond the operational range of many submarines.
Based on the results of the search operation and information provided by survivors, the MNDF said the possibility of locating the three missing men alive on the sea surface is now very low.
Search efforts began immediately after the sinking and continued for 11 days with support from domestic and international assets.