Advertisement

Former President Abdulla Yameen has said that giving away land in the Malé city area without charge or through sale is not in the interest of the public.

He made the remarks during a rally organised by the People's National Front Sunday. Yameen referred to land allocation as an example of an issue that requires scrutiny.

Yameen said land in Hulhumalé Phase 2 was dredged during his administration. He stated that the land was intended for the construction of housing and buildings to serve a large number of residents. He said he has opposed the policy of allocating land without charge in several forums.

He criticised land allocation decisions taken during the administration of the Maldivian Democratic Party, including projects in the Malé area and Hulhumalé Phase 2.

“What these people did after coming to power was divide the land and sell it to relatives and wealthy individuals, and later distribute land without charge. This is not a method that serves the public,” he said.

Yameen added that although the government has changed, the current administration led by the People's National Congress continues the same policy.

“Even if a government changes, policy must change in a different direction. The original plan was for public housing. That has been reversed. This is why the government must be held accountable,” he said.

Under the government’s ‘Housing for All’ policy, a ‘Family Housing’ programme was launched and schemes for the allocation of plots and flats in the Malé city area and Rasmale were announced in November last year. Applications for the schemes opened last month.

Comments

profile-image-placeholder