Advertisement
Nasheed speaks at the MDP rally. (Atoll Times Photo)

Nasheed claims Nazim facing removal over move against president

He further alleged that 23 PNC members were aligned with Nazim and involved in efforts to submit a no-confidence motion against President Muizzu.

1 day ago

Former President Mohamed Nasheed on Thursday claimed that efforts to remove Deputy Speaker Ahmed Nazim are linked to an alleged attempt to initiate a no-confidence motion against President Mohamed Muizzu.

Nasheed made the remarks during a campaign rally held at Artificial Beach as part of his campaign for the chairperson position of the Maldivian Democratic Party.

Last week, the People's National Congress Parliamentary Group submitted a no-confidence motion seeking Nazim’s removal from the post of Deputy Speaker.

The motion has since been formally submitted to Parliament, with a decision expected during a parliamentary sitting next week.

Speaking at the rally, Nasheed questioned why the President and the ruling party had not publicly explained the reasons behind the loss of confidence in Nazim.

“A no-confidence motion has been submitted against Deputy Speaker Nazim. However, neither the President nor his party has explained why their trust in him has deteriorated to this extent,” Nasheed said.

He further alleged that 23 PNC members were aligned with Nazim and involved in efforts to submit a no-confidence motion against President Muizzu.

“Yes, because they are crossing the line with Nazim. Because they are planning to switch parties. Because they are attempting to take a no-confidence vote against the President,” Nasheed said.

Nasheed also criticised the President’s leadership and referred to former Defence Minister Ghassan Maumoon while discussing internal political developments within the ruling coalition.

According to Nasheed, Ghassan had previously sought his advice regarding support for Muizzu during the presidential primary process.

Nasheed further claimed that President Muizzu had sidelined former political allies, including former President Abdulla Yameen Abdul Gayoom.

During the speech, Nasheed reiterated his intention to seek political change before the end of the year.

“We know the state of the hull. We know how to set the course. God willing, before the end of this year, the MDP will rise to change President Muizzu’s government and reclaim leadership of this country,” he said.

The no-confidence motion submitted against Nazim alleges that he:

  • Used the influence of his office in a biased manner

  • Encouraged disorder during parliamentary proceedings

  • Failed to protect the rights and privileges of members

  • Obstructed members in carrying out constitutional duties

The resolution was signed by 73 PNC members.

Nazim, who represents the Dhiggaru constituency, is also a first cousin of President Muizzu on his mother’s side.

The current parliamentary session has been extended until the end of the month to facilitate a decision on the motion.

Comments

profile-image-placeholder