Divers trained for high-risk operations, says Coast guard chief
During the operation, Sergeant Mohamed Mahudhee of the Maldives National Defence Force died after developing decompression sickness.
Top Stories
Mohamed Saleem, Commandant of the Coast Guard, said on Monday night that Coast Guard divers are trained to operate in high-risk conditions and have experience conducting deep-sea operations.
His comments follow criticism over the deployment of Maldivian divers during the search operation for four Italian tourists who went missing near the Alimatha dive point in Vaavu Atoll.
During the operation, Sergeant Mohamed Mahudhee of the Maldives National Defence Force died after developing decompression sickness while attempting a second dive to a cave located at a depth of approximately 60 metres.
Mahudhee later died while receiving treatment at ADK Hospital.
Public criticism emerged following the incident, with some questioning whether local divers should have been deployed in the operation without additional specialised resources.
Speaking on Public Service Media programme “Raajje Miadhu”, Saleem said the criticism appeared to stem from the assumption that MNDF divers had no prior experience operating at such depths.
According to Saleem, Coast Guard divers had previously carried out operations at depths between 70 and 80 metres using standard air systems.
“Coast Guard divers have successfully conducted many operations at depths of 70 to 80 meters in the past. Therefore, these are personnel who have undergone military training and have been conducting such dives safely within our established military protocols,” he said.
Saleem stated that the divers involved in the operation participated voluntarily and based their decision on previous operational experience and their sense of duty.
He also said the operation had been carried out with planning and emergency measures in place, including arrangements that enabled Mahudhee to be transported quickly for medical treatment.
“It was a dive planned with safety measures in mind, yet an unfortunate accident occurred,” Saleem said.
“We lost one of our most capable divers in this incident. However, we remain a force that will continue to take risks for national service.”
Saleem also stated that training programmes are underway to enable Coast Guard divers to conduct operations at depths of up to 100 metres by the end of the year.
The operation, which had been suspended following Mahudhee’s death, resumed with the participation of the military, police and foreign diving specialists.
Authorities confirmed on Monday that the bodies of the four missing Italian divers had been located inside the cave system.