Long delayed Kulhudhuffushi row houses handed over
"Today, we are celebrating the end of a long wait," Aslam had said.
Top Stories
-
'Evidence insufficient to prove youth sold child abuse material'
-
President ratifies amendment expanding URA board to 7 members
-
Bulk plastic bag packs exempted from bag fee
-
Public given 6 hours to raise concerns over Abdul Aziz nomination
-
Safety concerns over street-facing AC units raised with president
By
Mohamed Muzayyin Nazim
A total of 165 row houses in Kulhudhuffushi, which began construction in 2011 during former President Mohamed Nasheed's administration, have been completed and officially handed over to the island council Thursday evening.
The project has been stalled since the change of MDP government in 2012. The present government had awarded the work to Donbez Private Limited in April 2021 for completion
Housing minister Mohamed Aslam handed over the flats to Kulhudhuffushi Mayor Mohamed Athif at a ceremony held on Thursday evening.
"Today, we are celebrating the end of a long wait," Aslam had said.
According to the ministry, the residents have been handed their keys over last week after the project was completed.
When the previous government came to power, only 58 row houses were completed. Six years later, people were admitted in August that year when the 2018 presidential elections were just around the corner. At that time, there was public concern that the buildings were unsafe and dilapidated.
Related
Related
Kulhudhuffushi row houses reach completion after 11 years
Ministry begins verification of 58,505 land and flat applications
High Court stays Civil Court trial over revoked flat allocation